Monday, October 4, 2010

Injury and Pardon

A few days ago the peace prayer of St. Francis was going through my mind. I've continued to ruminate on it. Today, I was struck with the thought of sowing pardon where there is injury. I've tended to see that as my bringing a healing salve to others where they have been injured, but today I was thinking about sowing pardon where I am injured.

That is the beginning of being an instrument of peace. When thoughtless, or worse yet, intentionally wounding words are spoken that hit their mark in me, I need God's help to sow pardon to the speaker--right in that moment. "Father, forgive them. They don't realize what they are doing."

It isn't me bestowing my forgiveness on them, although that is a part of the result. It is intercession to the one who really can pardon sin on behalf of the one who has hurt me. It is laying down my urge to retaliate or defend, seeing my assailant with eyes of compassion, and pleading with a merciful God to bring healing to the place of pain from whence the missile was launched.

Help me there, God.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.2

1 comment:

  1. We had a Cross Immersion weekend up here this past weekend. One of the speakers said, "We have been given the gift of mercy. When we are cut, we bleed mercy." Awesome.

    ReplyDelete